Saturday, February 10, 2007

More patterns for your amusement

I know, I'm supposed to be telling you how my sweater deconstruction is going, but I'm not ready for that yet. I'm working on it. For now, here's a couple more patterns from my crochet calender.


This one is almost so awful it's awesome. I love everything about it. Look at that. Memoirs of a Bratty Geisha? Brilliant! Obviously the Geisha pictured is none other than Hatsumomo.

I kind of wonder, why a Bratz doll? You'd think Barbie would be more the Geisha type. Bratz is commonly regarded as her low-rent cousin. I don't know if you ever read Memoirs, but if Barbie were a Geisha, I think Bratz would be the ones who tie their obis in the front, if you know what I mean. (*wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*)

But somehow that just makes this pattern even more fun for me. Honestly, if I knew any little girls who played with Bratz dolls I'd consider making this. I'd consider buying a Bratz doll myself just so I could do this if I had a hope of getting the right yarn. Sadly, the pattern just tells you the brand of yarn to get and not the size, and as you know my town is not great for finding yarn. Oh well.




I obscured the actual crochet instructions here because the pattern is so short that to just post the picture as-is would be pretty much to post the pattern, and that's not right. Pattern designers have to eat, even if their patterns are... kinda weird.

So what we have here is a pattern for a very tiny bra. I don't know how small it really is, but it would be too small for a person to wear. I don't know if it would be small enough for our bratty Geisha to wear or not and I don't plan make the thing to find out. On the back of the pattern is a short poem on the virtues of bras and friendship. Because this isn't just any bra. It's a friendship bra. Whatever the hell that's supposed to be.

I just don't understand anything about this one.

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

Boy, that friendship bra is just the weirdest thing ever. Why would you want to give your friend a bra? And a crocheted one, no less?

I will admit that the kimono is cute, though. My mom used to make clothes for all of my sisters' Barbies and it was all so cute.

Lita said...

I'm curious about how "itty bitty" it is. It looks pretty small, judging by the picture, the size of the hook, and the yarn required, but that doesn't really tell me anything.

Is it small enough to fit on your thumb? Could these friendship bras be used to give the rodents in my house all the support they never knew they needed? I guess I'll never know because I have neither the yarn, the hook, or the desire to obtain either.

I think one of the reasons I liked that kimono is because when I was a little girl and used to sew I'd make clothes for all my Barbies. Sometimes my grandmother would take me out and I'd get Barbie clothes patterns to work from, but mostly the clothes were improvised. That Bratz kimono I think is touching on something from my childhood that I haven't thought of for a long time and that's what's so fascinating for me about it.