Friday, December 15, 2006

A gift for the furballs

Today I bring you a pet blanket:

I initially made this for my dog, but for some reason or other it ended up on the couch under my cats instead. They seem to like it.

My main reason for making it wasn't any great desire to give my pets something to lie on. I had just bought a whole bunch of yarn for an afghan project and then decided almost instantly that I hated said yarn and would hate to crochet a whole afghan out of it. It was my desire to use up the yarn that inspired me to make this.

Here's an extreme closeup:



Don't mind the occasional hair that's visible in the pic. I didn't clean the blanket before snapping the pics. This is actually the clean side.

I used no pattern to make this. I just made a chain until I liked the length, and then crocheted on it until I liked the width. I wasn't sure which stitch I wanted to use, so I used all three. I just did a row of single crochet, a row of half double crochet, and a row of double crochet and then repeated. I like the effect.

Because I was making this thing in an effort to use up yarn I hated I decided to crochet with two strands of yarn in order to maximize the yarn usage. It worked pretty well and I ended up with a nice, thick, cushy blanket, in spite of the scratchiness of the original yarn.



The edging is some reddish fun fur that I had lying around that actually amazingly matches the yarn. I like it. Though the yarn the actual blanket is made from is washable, the edging is not. Guess how I found this out?

Yep. When I did finally get around to washing the blanket the edging felted together. I really don't care. It still looks ok (though much different), and even if it didn't it's just a blanket for my cats to shed on anyway. No harm done.

2 comments:

wurwolf said...

How come I didn't notice this post before? That's what I get for not checking Torrk's naked knees often enough.

It does look like a very nice, cushy blanket for your kitties, but kinda small for your dog. Is Mindy upset that you gave her blanket to the likes of Felix and Oscar?

Lita said...

The blanket is bigger than it looks. Maybe a little bigger than your standard small bathmat. But smaller than your standard big bathmat. It covers the whole middle cushion of the couch in the living room.

The dog is utterly indifferent to Oscar and Felix's total stealage of her blanket because she has a big puffy dog cushion in the other room. She'd have just chewed the blanket up anyway.

kghmimam (kinky, mam)